02 October, 2011

Burger King Onion Rings

Burger King's onion rings are on their "value menu" for a buck. They'd be too expensive at half of that.

Right out of the fryer, they're tolerable I guess, but the second they start cooling down the quality starts dropping sharply. They have a slippery mouthfeel, they have an artificial salt/onion powder flavor, and the grease coats the inside of the mouth.  

I can't figure out why they're so damn bad.  They're made from real sliced onions as far as I can tell, and they've got a fairly standard crumb coating. And yet, they're far and away the worst thing on the menu.

What's worse, I already knew all of that when I ordered them, so I have no one but myself to blame for giving them a second chance.

6 comments:

Nope. said...

That slippery texture is the worst. One reason why I've always avoided onion rings.

Kim said...

OMG, you described it right to the T! Way too early in the am to be seeing this, LOL!

Leah said...

Here is the ingredient list from Burger King's website:
Rehydrated Onion, Bleached Wheat Flour, Soybean Oil, Water, Yellow
Corn Flour, Sugar. Contains 2% or
less of the following: Gelatinized
Wheat Starch, Corn Starch, Calcium
Chloride, Modified Food Starch,
Methyl Cellulose, Salt, Fructose,
Guar Gum, Sodium Alginate, Dextrose,
Yeast, Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium
Tripolyphosphate, Sodium Acid
Pyrophosphate, Sodium Aluminum
Phosphate, Sunflower Oil, Natural
Flavors,Grill Flavor, Garlic Powder,
Hydroxypropyl Methyl Cellulose,
Sorbitol.
Love your blog!

Andrew said...

Yes, but I still like it when a sole onion ring gets mixed up in my fries when I go there....
And I LOVED the Rodeo Burger (which was a cheese burger with onion rings and BBQ sauce on it). I'm disappointed they got rid of it.

james42519 said...

the onion rings are not that bad now. you should have used the zesty sauce. i use the sweet and sour sauce though with mine.

Sarah said...

Onion rings are the only reason I ever go to BK!! If you get them fresh and crispy they arte good for people that do not like thick pieces of onions. And the zesty sauce is so good I usually get at least two with a medium. BTW Andrew, you could just get a plain cheeseburger, a value onion ring and a side of BBQ sauce and make your own!