13 February, 2008

Mac's Chicharrones



I'd never seen Mac's fired pork skins before, so when they appeared in a local store lately, I couldn't resist picking up a couple of bags. I really like chicharrones, but the quality of them is kind of uneven between brands, so when I see a new label I try to check it out.

Mac's Snacks Inc., based in Arlington Texas, has been in business since 1932, so it should come as no surprise that their pigskins are among the best I've ever had.

The store carried four varieties: Original, Salt & Vinegar, Spicy Hot, and Barbecue. I bought Original and Salt & Vinegar.

The Original variety is everything a chicharrone should be: light and airy, deliciously crunchy, not a bit greasy, with a fresh pork taste that is almost bacony. They're seasoned with just the right hint of salt to enhance the flavor. They're an amazing, premium product.

But the Salt & Vinegar chicharrones were even better. In fact, they are quite possibly the best fried pork skin I have ever tasted in my life. Like the Original variety, they are kissed with a touch of salt. But Mac's also uses a touch of additional seasoning that includes vinegar, onion powder, and garlic powder. The result is incredible: they're irresistable. It's as if they've been coated with pure deliciousness.

Mac's Snacks webpage is here. They don't seem to be a very big company, so the website is pretty barebones, but check them out for the hell of it anyway.


No comments: