02 September, 2011

Herr's Pizza Flavored Potato Chips

This is just a week for Herr's potato chips, I guess.

Thanks to a tip from J. Astro, I sought out and found some Herr's Pizza Flavored Potato Chips. I was a bit skeptical; I'm not a fan of tomato powder seasoning and it was hard for me to imagine that a chip purporting to taste like a pizza could pull it off without something to simulate the flavor of the sauce.  Still, Astro knows his snacks as well as he knows his cheesy horror flicks (more on that later) so the hunt was on.

Amazingly, I found some for sale almost immediately at Ocean State Job Lot and took a bag home, resolving not to even look at the ingredients panel until after tasting so as not to influence our opinions.  

I have to admit, they do taste a lot like a pizza.  Not exactly, mind you, but as much like a pizza as, say, pizza flavored Combos or TGIFriday's Cheese Pizza Chips.  And they do it without tomato powder.  A few different cheeses (including Romano,) some spices, and extract of paprika for a peppery flavor and a red color combine for a strangely authentic flavor that everyone really enjoyed.  In fact, we just about killed the whole bag - something that rarely happens when we set out to sample something for a review.  I'd certainly buy these again if I found them, which sadly is not guaranteed since Herr's distribution network is still a little spotty in New England.

And speaking of J. Astro and his horror movie connoisseurship, if you're a fan of eclectically bizarre films (B-movies, horror, cult films, cut-out bin trash, and general cinematic sleaze) check out his blog Screen Grab! with J. Astro.  Full disclosure: it's NSFW and you'll have to click through a content warning, but it's worth it.

5 comments:

J. Astro said...

Aww, man thanks for the glowing endorsement!! And I'm glad you guys seemed to like these pizza chips. ;) I've been pretty stoked, seeing your review of the Herr's products on here, since no one else ever seems to know what the hell I'm talking about.

Andrew said...

The vending machine at my place of employment has Rib flavored potato chips....
At first, they had me excited, but after eating a bag, my hands felt shaky for some reason.

Frank Yensan said...

Dave, I love food and am as adventuresome as they come to trying new things, however the last few reviews have left me horrified by potato chips. I guess I am a traditionalist going for the plain Utz. I used to like the salt and pepper Utz, but they seem to have disappeared from the store shelves.

Alan said...

Funny you should mention this. I have recently bought Herr's "Herr's Buffalo Blue Cheese Flavored Cheese Curls" from Job Lot. I cannot believe how much they taste like a buffalo wing dipped in blue cheese dressing.

Tampa Bay Food Monster said...

god herr's what is wrong with you?? these chips... i did not care for. i suppose i appreciate their efforts though. but i'm just so upset by the notion of, say, KETCHUP FLAVORED POTATO CHIPS, i really don't want to give them a chance at all.