26 October, 2010

A Cheap Bastard (Me) Goes To McDonalds

I have never made a secret of my appreciation for McDonald's Sausage McMuffin With Egg.  It is the pinnacle of breakfast sandwich creation.  Say what you will about Mickey D's horrible, fatty, unhealthy menu (which, let's face it, is most of it) the Sausage McMuffin With Egg is a good choice to start the day:  It's a simple and decent breakfast in sandwich form, and when you break it down into components - 1 egg, 1 sausage patty, an English muffin, and a single slice of cheese - it's a fairly normal breakfast, not that much different than you'd make for yourself on a weekend morning.

Even so, I don't indulge in them very often.  Partly this is because I can't really burn off breakfast by sitting in an office for eight hours.  But partly, it's because I really don't want to spend $3.50 or so to buy an egg, a sausage patty, and an English muffin.  You see, I can be a Cheap Bastard.

But you know what?  Thanks to McDonald's dollar breakfast menu, I can enjoy a Sausage McMuffin with Egg while still being a Cheap Bastard.  Check it out - breakfast for me and a friend at work for about $2.25:

Here are two Sausage McMuffins - English muffin, sausage patty, and cheese.  They're on the dollar breakfast menu.  I picked them up on my way to work.
Here are two eggs, fried in rings for the proper size and shape, which I made at home before leaving for work.  They cost about ten cents each.


And here are the Sausage McMuffins set with the homemade eggs, turning them instantly into Sausage McMuffins With Egg.  Total cost each:  $1.10 (compared to the full menu price of $3.50 each.)
Oh, and Ronald McDonald, if you're listening:  I would never have even thought of doing this if you hadn't tried to charge me $2.50 for a fried egg, you greedy facepainted freak.
.

7 comments:

steve06082 said...

You took the words right out of my greasy sausage, egg, and cheese stuffed mouth. I also love to hate the hash browns. They are diabolical.

Alan said...

I grew up with McDonald's. It was a hangout after school during my high school years. I know their menu and I know the health statistics. That said, I'm a customer and will always be one. It's like going home. My name is Alan, and I eat at McDonald's.

Anonymous said...

when you bring your own egg to put in the muffin (c'mon, a 10 cent egg?) you are really really cheap. hahaha

Andrew said...

That Mcmuffin looks really friggin' appetizing to me right now....
The breakfasts at McDonald's are the only thing I can tolerate at that restaurant.

Michael said...

No, Anonymous freakazoid - that's a $2.50 egg. Can't you read?

Dave said...

Anonymous doesn't seem to realize that when I buy it at McDonald's it's actually a $2.50 egg. I bought 2 dozen eggs at ALDI yesterday for just $1.98.

Anonymous said...

Target stores in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. are selling a dozen eggs for $1.29 this week.