31 August, 2011

Herr's Blossoming Onion Snack

If you like oniony snack crisps but you're looking for something a bit different from the same old Funyuns kind of thing, allow me to personally recommend Herr's Blossoming Onion crisps.

Formed into petal shapes (the better to emulate their appetizer namesake) Blossoming Onions are puffy, light, and crunchy, and have a big flavor boost over plain puffed onion ring snacks like Funyuns.  Because restaurant "onion blossom" appetizers are usually served with some kind of zesty dip, Herr's incorporated the dip flavor into the crisp.  There's a hint of sour cream and vinegar, a touch of horseradish, and some spicy heat.  The heat is semi-cumulative; that is, it builds up a little bit on the first couple of bites, but once it reaches its somewhat mild peak, it levels off. (Not a fan of spicy heat? No problem - the heat never gets so intense it would scare you away.)  Definitely a winner.

Herr's, based in Lancaster PA, has only recently started making real inroads into the New England snack market.  They have a wide variety of chip flavors and varieties and I'm glad to see them become available here.

7 comments:

J. Astro said...

I couldn't get down with these. Tried 'em once and for my part, I thought they were too vinegar-y. I HATE vinegar. >:P

Dave said...

Yeah, the vinegar flavor is going to turn off a bunch of people, I suspect. Lynnafred isn't a fan of vinegar at all, either.

Branden M said...

Hi Dave - I don't know if it's just me, but when I load http://davescupboard.blogspot.com/, within two seconds it seems to redirect to a page for blogrolling.com?

Dave said...

Branden, you might want to scan your computer for malware; none of the computers I've checked that on have done a redirect.

Stephanie/Sproffee said...

The redirect is happening to me too, and only for your blog and not the others I read.

Anonymous said...

Flaming Funyuns were one of my favorite snacks before frito-lay seemed to do away with their "Flaming" line. Crunchy, spicy onion snacks? If I find these, I'll definitely have to check them out!

Anonymous said...

Do you know if these are available in the NYC area at all? Please say yes!!!