05 February, 2011

Hell Of A Deal Ya Got There, Big Y

There's a supermarket chain in my area called "Big Y." They operate 60 stores in Massachusetts and Connecticut.  One of the incentives they use to keep customers coming back is a "coin reward" program, in which shoppers who also have a Big Y loyalty card are given silver and gold coins which can then be exchanged for discounts.  Silver coins are usually redeemable for discounts; gold coins are often redeemable for freebies.  Loyal Big Y shoppers - and there are a lot of them - eagerly seek out goid coins.

So it's no surprise that Big Y uses the program to drive sales.  Take, for example, the promotion at right which appeared in this week's Big Y sale flyer: For every $300 a customer spends through the end of February, the customer receives a gold coin.

And what can you get in exchange for that gold coin?

For each gold coin, you can get ONE of the following:
  • A Free 48-ounce carton of Big Y brand ice cream
  • A loaf of bread
  • One pound of Big Y brand bacon
Now that, my friends is one damn generous promotion.  Spend $300, get a three-dollar pound of bacon.  Or a loaf of bread!  Holy shit, if you spend six hundred bucks you can make bacon sandwiches for free! 

5 comments:

Andrew said...

A 600 dollar bacon sandwich better taste pretty damn good....

DrunkethWizerd said...

300$ in less than a month on groceries? Yeah, okay...

Leeanne said...

Don't forget, the Big Y gold coin also gets you STEEP discounts on things like "sides of mashed potatoes and "Bounty paper towels."

I have several friends who work for Big Y corporate. but that doesn't mean I go out of my way to shop there. it's over-the-top expensive at times. I'd rather go to ShopRite any day.

lynn said...

just laughin....

Alan said...

I have a drawer full of silver coins (actually some form of aluminum). Every time I get to use one, I get two back. I used to have red and blue ones, but those were discontinued. I took a big loss on those. When I have silver coins with me, they never seem to apply to what I buy. When I come without one, they ask me for one.
Not a big fan of Big Y coins.