17 September, 2010

Tasty Toasty Appetizers

My brother-in-law Walter Massa made these appetizers for a party at my sister's place a couple weeks ago.  They're completely delicious and will make your guests think you're a culinary badass even though they're pretty easy to make.  I don't know what he calls them...I'm going to call them "Margherita Toasts"  because that sounds better than "Those Toast Thingies Walter Made."

Margherita Toasts

1 crusty baguette, sliced into rounds (well, "ovals" really)
Extra virgin olive oil
Fresh basil leaves
Sun-dried tomatoes, cut in strips
Fresh mozzarella, sliced

Arrange the sliced bread on a cookie sheet and brush each slice with a bit of olive oil.  Top each slice with a fresh large basil leaf (the leaf should just about cover the entire slice of bread) then top that with a couple slices of sun-dried tomatoes.  Finally, add a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese to each.  Run the appetizers under a broiler just long enough to make the cheese bubbly with occasional spots of toasty brown.

Slide the toasts immediately to a serving platter and place in front of your guests, who will eat them ravenously.


By the way, I should mention that Walter is an accomplished and talented baker.  If I were ever sentenced to death, my last wish would be half an hour alone with a loaf of his rye bread and a quart of milk, I kid you not.
.

2 comments:

Alan said...

Hats off to Walter. Add a little garlic and you can call them Bruschetta Ronds...sort of.
Maybe you could feature an occasional recipe from Walter. I've never heard of French Basil leaves. I live in the country so the closest I can get to French Basil leaves might be Maple leaves with some Basil sprinkled on them.

Nope. said...

Whoa, yum. These look awesome. I'd make these for a party any day. Also- do the gummies. They're like 80% orange and 100% crazy delicious.