15 July, 2010

Canned Silkworm Pupa


I've eaten toasted mealworms (they had cheese powder on them and tasted like Cheetos, only made of mealworms.)  And I've eaten a cricket, inside a Cricket Lick-It lollypop (it tasted kind of like a peanut.)  Both of those examples were crunchy and not very nauseating.

However, just the thought of biting into a squishy, insect-guts-filled silkworm pupa makes me want to hurl. So I left these cans of (presumably) delicious pupa on the shelf of the Korean market.
.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

I'm disappointed, actually. Part of the fun of this blog is reading about you trying things that I am too squeamish to try, and learning if they're worth checking out or are in fact as disgusting as they sound.

Dave said...

Jessica, I can barely imagine silkworm pupa being less disgusting than they sound. =)

icecycle66 said...

http://www.thesneeze.com/steve-dont-eat-it/

This guy did a review a few years ago. It is the second to last entry, near the bottom of the page.

Christina said...

One would think silkworm pupae would be more valuable for the silk they produce...or maybe these are silkworm pupae have otherwise petered out of silk?

J. Astro said...

*gag* Anything with more than four legs is totally unwelcome in my diet. I'm not usually the squeamish type, but insects (especially maggoty things like this) are the enemy. And not the tasty kind of enemy, either. The bad kind.

Stephanie/Sproffee said...

My Chinese teacher said when he was younger he would boil silk worms and salt them and eat 'em like popcorn.

Amy said...

just got back from korea, actually -- they sell them from roadside carts, too. couldn't pluck up the courage to try any.

Anonymous said...

Just tried some. They were very good!
Right out of the can they are OK, but squishier than I prefer.
So I toasted them in the oven! After 15 minutes they were crispy, crunchy and very tasty! Once they are dried a bit I am sure many of you would enjoy them.