14 September, 2012

The Big E is Back!

New Hampshire Agriculture at The Big E
It's time once again for The Big E - aka The Eastern States Exposition - aka New England's Great State Fair. this year, the family and I picked up 17-day unlimited admission passes, so I'll be spending a good chunk of time there over the next couple of weeks.

If there are any disgusting Fair Foods you'd like me to seek out and taste on your behalf, leave a comment or message me on Facebook letting me know. No State Fair Comestible is off limits no matter how filthy or unappealing.


.

5 comments:

steve06082 said...

Not new but the apple pie and cheese in the Vermont Bldg. What do you think of that pairing?
Also, last year I found fried pork skins. Maybe they gave me a stale plate but I wanted to love them so bad but had to dump them after 3 bites. Dry, salty, tough, hard.

steve06082 said...

Apple pie and cheddar?
Fried pork skins. Last year i found they were too salty, hard, and tough. I was expecting something different. Is that how they are supposed to be or just a stale batch?

Lynnafred said...

I wanna try that nasty doughnut burger. I'm as scared of it as I am fascinated.

steve06082 said...

What about the 4-town fair in the area this weekend too? Any food finds there?

Dave said...

Steve -

I have always liked the taste of a good sharp cheddar with apple pie. When I was a kid, apple pie with a thick slice of cheese was a standard breakfast during apple season (it was hardly ever served with cheese as a dessert.)

The 4-Town Fair in Somers is open this weekend. We try to attend that one, too, because of the small-town atmosphere and the greater accessibility of the agricultural exhibits. (Also, we're friends with a couple of local dairy farmers who exhibit and we enjoy having the chance to meet some of the herds.) I've never concentrated on the food there, though. The Big E is more spectacle and has strayed further from its agricultural roots, so at the Big E we do things like search out strange foods because it is much easier to miss the animal judgings and other stuff that make the small fairs so much fun.