01 May, 2012

Dentley's Natural Flavor Toobles Dog Snacks

My dogs, Zim and Iris, are spoiled. They've become used to a regular schedule, and they bug the hell out of me if there's any variation to it. So., every morning (including weekends and holidays) they want to go out at 5:00 AM, followed by breakfast at 5:30.  At night, they want their supper at 5:00 PM, followed by out at 6:00 PM, and a snack by 7:00.

I don't give them a lot of other treats, so the snack they get at 7:00 is usually something that takes them a little while to gnaw through - a slice of raw marrow bone, a pig ear, or something like that. As long as it's something that entertains them for a while as well as tastes good, they're happy. And believe me, on the few times I've run out of things for their evening snack, they're not happy, and they let me know it (usually by sitting in front of me, staring at me with big, miserable, liquid eyes while whining piteously. They can certainly be pains in the ass when they're missing their SNACK.)

At eleven years old, Zim's teeth are starting to get a little fragile, so I've backed off on the marrow bones lately, trying to go with other things he likes, like pig ears. But this weekend, I found some stuff that was so bizarre I couldn't resist buying a couple packages to see whether the dogs would like a little variety.

I was in the snack aisle, and noticed packages of things labeled "Toobles."  They were tubes.  I picked up the package and looked inside...and thought, "Hey, those look like windpipes."  And then in fine print near the bottom of the package, I found it: "Beef esophagus."  They are windpipes!  Totally awesome.  Like I said, i couldn't resist them.

Zim enjoying a cow throat. I tried to get a picture of
Iris doing the same, but she wouldn't stay still long
enough. She likes to play with her food.
The dogs couldn't resist them, either. They loved 'em. To me, they smelled like run of the mill rawhide but with little rings of connective tissue holding the dried meat parts together. But to Zim and Iris, they were manna. And surprisingly, it took them quite a while to chomp through them, so they got the same amount of satisfaction from them as they do from bones.

So, if you're looking for something a little different for the dawg, give them a try. I found them at the local PetSmart, but you may have to do some searching of your own to turn them up.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a trachea. There is a place in Manchester (Bogner's/Bravo)that makes/sells them and other stuff like that. They sell seconds for cheap too.

TomW said...

"...looked inside...and thought, "Hey, those look like windpipes." ..."

I'm impressed - you know anatomy quite well!

Tom