06 February, 2010

Yancy's Fancy XXX Sharp Cheddar

Yancy's Fancy cheeses are relatively new to my area; they call themselves "New York's Artisan Cheese" which is kind of puffing out their chest a little because, while the cheese is pretty damn good, I wouldn't go so far as to call the varieties I've tried "artisan" cheese.  I'd like to reserve that designation for small-batch craft-made cheeses from small localized dairies - but at the same time, I realize that artisan and artisanal are as much empty marketing terms as they are actually descriptive.

Okay, so enough ranting.  How's the cheese?  Like I said, pretty damn good.  XXX Sharp Cheddar is an 18-month aged hard cheese, moderately sharp, creamy on the tongue with just the right amount of cheddary bite and no graininess or calcium lactate crystals.

While I didn't find it to be an amazing cheddar like, say, the stuff made in Granville MA at the Granville Country Store or the cheeses I've bought at Jewett's Cheese House in Earlville NY, it ranks at least as good as the Cabot VT Sharp Cheddar available just about everywhere - and it's a bit less expensive.

So - Welcome to New England, Yancy's Fancy.  We're happy to have a new cheese here from our neighbors in New York State. 
.

No comments: