01 February, 2010

Popeye's pwns KFC

There are a lot of things I like about KFC - their Famous Bowls for example, and the Double Down Sandwich which is likely to live forever as the single most badass sandwich ever offered by a fast food restaurant.

But I will tell you this: I hate the service at KFC. Every time I go to one of the many local Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurants around here, the service is surly, slow as death and more often than not I'll get the stuff home and find that they've screwed it up.

That's why I'm so happy that there is finally a Popeye's Chicken in the area. It's not in my town. It's not even in the next town over. No, it's three towns and a state line away, and I can get there in about 20 minutes if I use the Interstate. But I really don't mind the 40-minute round trip, because the chicken tastes better, it's less expensive, and the people behind the counter are friendly and engaging - unlike at KFC where half the time they act like they're doing me a goddamn favor by selling me a greasy bucket of capon.

And - here's the killer - I can drive out to that Popeye's, get my food, and drive home in less time than it takes me to get takeout from the KFC five minutes from my house.



Popeye's trivia: A lot of people think that Popeye's was named after Popeye the Sailor, but founder Al Copeland always maintained that he named the chain after Jimmy "Popeye" Doyle, the main character in the movie The French Connection.


2 comments:

Andrew said...

I love Popeye's....
The spicy Cajun stuff is what reels me in -- especially the Jambalaya. There's a Popeye's about ten minutes from where I live, and I'm usually done eating already by the time I get home.

Unknown said...

I love Popeye's! Unfortunately there aren't any near where I live in Marion, NC...