07 September, 2008

Minute Maid Soft Frozen Lemonade

Have you ever had something that was really delicious and that you really liked at first, but there was so much of it that it got kind of disgusting by the end? That pretty much sums up Minute Maid Soft Frozen Lemonade in the 12-ounce cup shown here.

It was hot, and I was in the dollar store buying Italian Ices. The Dollar Tree near me sells 4-packs of Luigi's Italian Ice for a dollar (25 cents per cup) which is a much better deal than the local supermarkets ' price of $3.00 for a 6-pack (50 cents per cup.) Right next to the Italian ice, there were a bunch of these Minute Maid Soft Frozen Lemonade treats, in strawberry and straight lemon. I'd never had them before, so I bought a few.

The first spoonful was delicious. Good, tart, strawberry-accented lemonade flavor that tasted like real lemons. And sweet.

The second spoonful was delicious. But sweet. Really sweet.

I was about four ounces in when the cloying, overpowereing, tooth-cracking sweetness just got to me. Euurgh. I didn't want another bite. What I really wanted was a good sour dill pickle to reset my tastebuds. I put the cap back on the cup and put it back in the freezer and left a note for my wife and daughter to give it a try and let me know what they thought.

My wife shuddered at her first taste and never went back to it. My daughter, however, found it enjoyable in small doses; she finished off the cup over a period of two or three nights, eating some for dessert each night and returning the unfinished portion to the freezer each time. We pretty much agreed that the actual product was good in small doses, but a 12-ounce portion was just too much.

Apparently, someone at Minute Maid must have been thinking the same thing. When I went to Minute Maid's website to check the Nutrition Facts, I found that the splash page for the Soft Frozen Lemonade announces that it's "experienced a makeover" and is now available in eight-packs of 3-ounce squeeze tubes - with no mention of the larger cups at all. The three-ounce size is definitely a more manageable snack.

HFCS ALERT: These things are loaded with high fructose corn syrup.

Link: Minute Maid's website.

4 comments:

Michele said...

You are very brave. Me....well I stick to the Italian Ices. The Minute Maid is making my teeth hurt just reading about it.

Melissa said...

Well, if you look at the serving size on the cup it does say there is 3 servings in it. I, too, finished mine in 3 nights, eating a serving each night.

The lid makes it convenient to eat some and put it back in the freezer. I wouldn't recommend eating 3 servings of anything in one time.

Betty said...

Betty says: I really love the 3 oz.soft frozen lemonade, in lemon or raspberry. The 3 oz. is not enough to satisfy my thirst for something sweet, cold and deliicous. I think maybe a 5 oz. might satisfy my taste buds, especially when the temperature is 90 degress in my front yard and the air is on in the house. Me! I love it.

Anonymous said...

I had my first taste last weekend at an Air Show in SC. The heat made it taste so good, but by the bottom of the 12 oz cup I tired of it. I also think the 5 oz would be better than the 3 oz. I love it in small doses!