29 April, 2008

Ramen Review 4: Fashion Food Oriental Flavor Instant Noodles

Ease of Preparation: 9/10
This ramen comes with it's own bowl and lid; just pop off the shrinkwrap, empty the packets inside into the bowl with the noodles, and pour in boiling water to the fill line. Cover, let it sit for 3 minutes, and it's ready to eat.

Vegetable packet: 1/10
Skimpy little cellophane pouch with a miserly few bits of dehydrated spring onion tops, some of which were faded and yellowed.

Seasoning packets: 9/10
The main seasoning packet is little more than salt, pepper, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, and MSG, but it makes for one of the most delicious instant soup bases ever. There is also a palm oil pouch for a touch of fat, and a small envelope of ground hot chiles.

Taste: 8/10
The dark tan noodles are a little coarser than fine Japanese ramen, but the umami-filled broth makes up for it.

Spiciness: 6/10
Medium-level heat. Fans of really spicy ramen will want to add additional chile pepper.

Overall: 8/10. Recommended. This is one of my favorite ramen. Fashion Foods gets bonus points for including a small plastic fork inside the bowl, and for the lidded bowl itself, which is great for keeping at work and reusing for other ramen that doesn't come with its own container.

Related Link:
Fashion Food's Website (English Language page)

.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’ve just had a bowl of these noodles and it was great. Thanks for your instructions about how to prepare them. There was no english language instructions on the one I bought.

Unknown said...

Hello, Dave! My name is Lindy Camacho and my mom and I are going to make that kind of thing. We found it on my Ponyo DVD and it shows how to do it by watching the movie itself. We wanted to know if the bowl is microwavable? We don't want a messy dinner now, huh? LOL. If you can answer on my email address (if you want to) that'll be great. It's: mynalame@gmail.com (no capitalization and spaces, please).

Unknown said...

Hello, Dave! My name is Lindy Camacho and my mom and I are going to make that kind of thing. We found it on my Ponyo DVD and it shows how to do it by watching the movie itself. We wanted to know if the bowl is microwavable? We don't want a messy dinner now, huh? LOL. If you can answer on my email address (if you want to) that'll be great. It's: mynalame@gmail.com (no capitalization and spaces, please).