16 April, 2008

Fishy Delights 13: Ocean Prince Fish Steaks with Green Chilies

I never know what I'm going to find when I open one of these under-a-dollar tins of fish. This time, I was pleasantly surprised.

The fish steaks - cross-cut pieces of largish sardines, tightly packed standing on end - were in very little oil. They were of good quality: no scales or larger bones, no coarse fins, no disgusting entrails. The fishmeat itself was a little rough and had some bones, but they were rendered soft by processing and weren't any worse than I've found in other large canned sardines.

Packed under the fish steaks was a layer of thinly sliced green chile peppers. They looked like serranos or maybe very small and thin jalapenos. These were deliciously spicy - enough heat to be noticed over the fish and even through the oil, but not enough to be uncomfortable; a pleasantly mild burn without much ability to linger. The can said that the fish were lightly smoked, but if that is so the smoke flavoring was so subtle that I couldn't tell.

Curiously, I found the fish to be not salty enough and needed to add just a bit.


.

No comments: