08 May, 2008

Palm Liver Spread

I'm a big fan of liver spreads and patés, so when I saw this interesting-looking half-pound tin at the Asian market for a little over a dollar, I couldn't resist.

There is, of course, a reason why a reasonably decent tin of paté weighing one-fourth as much as this can sells for more than twice as much, and it's not because Palm is a bargain.

Made with beef liver and some assorted fillers, the texture is coarse and granular - almost gritty - and the flavor is overwhelming and a bit urinous (perhaps some kidney got mixed in there somewhere?) A few smears on a neutral cracker was all I could take of this nastiness.

My dog, however, had no such misgivings. From the instant I opened the can, he was at my side, sniffing the air and scouting out an opportunity to have a taste. I gave him a little bit of the spread, and it immediately became his favorite food.

Two ounces of the liver spread, mixed with a cup of his dry kibble twice a day, ensured that the dog belonged to The Clean Plate Club for two days running. I've rarely seen him so fond of anything from a can.

2 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

LOL! Thanks for sharing! What a great review!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!

Paul said...

I will avoid as I do not have a dog!